Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Some things we've done recently

There were some races at the racetrack just the other week that were free, so we decided to go check it out since we've never been before. We were bundled up in blankets sitting up in the grandstand, and Kyler just sat there for 20 minutes just staring with his piece of bread in his hand ... totally entranced. There were a few minor crashes, lots of noise and action. Both kids absolutely loved it. If fact, several times since then they have had races here at home, although since they only have one "car" they had to take turns racing around the downstairs.

Kinsey now likes My Little Ponies. She had to dress all in pink the other day because she was Pinkie Pie and would only respond to that name. She also likes to dress herself and sometimes comes up with wild stuff ... well, as wild as a pink, purple, flowery wardrobe can be.

We have started a new thing the last few months of reading a chapter (or less most days) of the Book of Mormon during breakfast. I figure while they are eating oatmeal, they are mostly quiet and more likely to be attentive. It is going quite well, but with some interesting side affects. Kinsey has recently become very distressed by death,dying, killing (sometimes) and not being able to see Jesus. Most of this comes up either while we are reading the Book of Mormon, or while she should be trying to go to sleep. I'm not quite sure how to deal with these fears, but I guess she will understand more when she is a little older.

Kyler likes to say "Probably" and spends alot of times in timeout. I finally figured out the best way to punish disobedience is to send him to sit on his bed for a few minutes to take timeout. It doesn't seem to change the behaviors, but at least it gets him out of a situation, I don't get too angry, and he actually does go sit on his bed. And he wont get down til I let him, which seems like a miracle, although he does yell, "Can I get down now" over and over.

Kinsey started Sunbeams this January. She was so excited and ready to go to church as soon as possible that morning. (Kyler was sick so he didn't get to go ... so I'm not entirely sure how well he will be without Kinsey in nursery. He's been doing relatively well without her for part of it since they started a practice Sunbeam class a few months ago) Kinsey just took off as soon as I took her to the primary room. So confident ... so unlike a few years ago when I couldn't leave without crying. A few days later she found a mirror in her little play house and took it to Dad and said, "every time you look in the mirror you are supposed to say 'I am a child of God and my name is ...'" And she made them all, Dad, Kyler, Dega, and puppy practice it over and over. I'm guessing that is what they learned in their first week of Sunbeams! Oh and she also loves the music time. She already remembered a lot of the words to some of the songs they are learning and was asking me if I could sing them with her. Her only disappointment about her first week in primary was that they forgot to sing happy birthday to her. Ummmm, well, that is because her birthday isn't until March. I told her not to worry, that they would remember when it actually was her birthday. Apparently it is a long time to wait!

No comments: